Consistent sound

Gerard J. Cerchio gjpc at circlesoft.com
Mon Nov 19 12:31:20 EST 2007

Hi,

I am just beginning to get involved with the OLPC so please forgive me
if this topic is already covered. I am also new to python so my learning
curve is somewhat steep.  I am attempting to build a go game activity
starting with the connect_activity. I would like to produce sounds for
various game play events such as victory, loss, atari, etc.  I would
also like the sounds the child hears from the OLPC be consistent and
culturally appropriate. I would posit that if all the activities made
consistent "utterances" to the child, the value of the OLPC learning
experience would be enhanced.

I would like to suggest a way to give a this consistent localized sound
personality to the OLPC through the csound object.

I propose that there be a simple csound method:

    emote( emotion, intensity )

where

    emotion is a string index into a table of localized sounds
    intensity is an integer that regulates the degree of the emotion

Sample emotion strings would be:

    "win" - produces a reward sound appropriate to the locale
    "lose" - opposite of win
    "yes" - indicate acceptance
    "no" - opposite of no
    "warn" - indicate more thought may be required
    "approval" - encourage
    "disapproval" - discourage

The intensity may select a different sound or if the table lacks
multiple intensities may just adjust volume.

The goal of the object is to give activity designers a sound palate that
is localized to the cultural of the child.

In c++ I would use an enumerator for the emotion parameter, however it
appears python lacks enumerators. Is there a better python/sugar
methodology that would simplify the interface to the sound selection?