Telling time (was: StopWatch activity)

nick knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 15 17:13:34 EST 2007

> Bert Freudenberg writes:
>
> > I question the very assumption that continuously telling
> > the time is even remotely important on a learning machine
> > for kids in elementary school age.
>
> Dealing with time is a critical life skill that must be learned.
> Having a clock is thus very important.

Whose time?  Hours minutes seconds?  Days since a recent feast?  When
the sun is at a certain position in the sky?  Since I last saw you on
the road?  How much do I quantize?  Is quantization of time even a
concept I am familiar with?

The notion of time is _highly_ contingent on situated cultural
factors.  Just because in the West we measure things using hours,
minutes, and seconds, does not mean that the entire world does so.
In fact, our conception of time is directly related to churches and
clock towers in the middle ages (see Lewis Mumford on this idea)
first, and then assembly lines and educational/disciplinary
institutions (see Foucault) .  The rest of the world has not
necessarily adopted our way of dividing days into ever smaller
chunks---perhaps there is no quantization at all!

A clock application, especially given the areas of deployment, is
_not_ something you rush into with the assumption that you can merely
write a graphic display of 00:00:00.  One must understand the local
conditions to know how time is told _on the ground_ and be careful to
not impose a Western notion of quantization and temporal division
that might be entirely foreign.

nick knouf