StopWatch activity

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 16:37:36 EST 2007

On Nov 14, 2007 4:07 PM, Michael Stone <michael at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 02:36:08PM -0500, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
> > We still intend to incorporate that - the overhead of launching an
> > activity is silly.
>
> More precision would make this particular comment more helpful. How low
> an overhead (in seconds and MB of RAM & IO) are we aiming for?  What are
> we willing to spend to get there?

I'm talking, really, about interaction overhead.  In order to see the
current time I should press a key, or make a gesture with the mouse,
or something similar.  I shouldn't have to find the clock activity
wherever that might be, click to launch it, wait for it do launch
(however short that may be), and then close it again just to check the
time.  I could leave it open all the time for later checking, of
course, but I'd still have to perform this exercise every time I
rebooted.  This kind of things should really be a system device as
well.

- Eben