when an xo loses connection, how long does it take to disappear from other's neighbor view?

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at collabora.co.uk
Tue Nov 6 05:05:59 EST 2007

Giannis Galanis wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to restart the presence service? In that way we can
> resolve a weird state. Will killing restarting the porcess work?

Killing it will result in it being restarted. However, Sugar remains in
an inconsistent state, with buddies stuck on the mesh view if they left
while PS was not running, since PS never told Sugar that they left.

> 2. At what point in the source code, the presence serivce
> i.will try to connect to the jabber server?

If the server plugin detects that NM has an IP address. See below for
details.

> ii. run gabble?

The connection manager plugins are both started at startup, unless
PRESENCE_SERVICE_DEBUG=disable-gabble or disable-salut are set.

> 3. I noticed the dbus diagram is updated. Indeed we have a better
> picture of whats happening. But, still we need some more information like:
> i. state diagram of the presence service

PS was designed to run with both plugins (which talk to gabble and
salut) running concurrently. However due to confusion about server and
link local activities displayed on the same mesh view with no
differentiation, and problems in connecting to some shared activities
you can see presence for, that was disabled in the run up to Trial3.

* Both plugins are started when PS starts.
* Salut succeeds faster than Gabble, so link local buddies are shown first.
* If PS gets an IP address from NM, it starts the server plugin (gabble).
* When the server plugin has started, PS stops the link local plugin
(salut). Link local buddies disappear.
* If NM loses the IP address, the server plugin stops itself.
* When the server plugin stops, PS starts the link local plugin.

Is that sufficient for your state diagram? There's a lot more than
happens, with async calls, so a complete state diagram would be rather
complex.

> ii. what type of communication is taking place between NM and PS
> iii. when connection is switched from linklocal to schoolserver(for
> example) what steps are taking place in the presence service
> iv. the internet connectivity is detected by NM and sent to PS, or
> detected by PS

PS's server plugin watches NM signals on the D-Bus system bus.

Regards
Morgan