when an xo loses connection, how long does it take to disappear from other's neighbor view?

Giannis Galanis galanis at laptop.org
Tue Nov 6 03:23:39 EST 2007

Sjoerd, Guillaume, Simon,

What does proper notification mean? Which are the cases that it happens?

Probably this is not if an XO moves slowly to a place with poor
connectivity.

In the case of a temporary(short) disruption of connectictivity, how much
time does it generally take for it to return? You mentioned that in the past
XOs were appearing  and disappearing constantly. This implies that the
common drop of connectivity is in the scale of few seconds. If it is lost
for more than a few minutes, than it is not bad for the XO to leave and
return.  So I believe that 1h or even 10min are too long timeouts.

There are a couple more things I would like to address:

1. Is there a way to restart the presence service? In that way we can
resolve a weird state. Will killing restarting the porcess work?

2. At what point in the source code, the presence serivce
i.will try to connect to the jabber server?
ii. run gabble?

3. I noticed the dbus diagram is updated. Indeed we have a better picture of
whats happening. But, still we need some more information like:
i. state diagram of the presence service
ii. what type of communication is taking place between NM and PS
iii. when connection is switched from linklocal to schoolserver(for example)
what steps are taking place in the presence service
iv. the internet connectivity is detected by NM and sent to PS, or detected
by PS

yani

On 10/30/07, Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd at luon.net > wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2007 at 02:48:55PM -0400, Giannis Galanis wrote:
> >  Sjoerd,
> >
> > I would like to ask you,
> >
> > you replied at one of the bugs:
>
> Moving from a bugreport to a private mail might not be a great idea..
> Could you
> in the future just put your questions in the bugreport so we can have the
> discussion in a more public fashion :)
>
> > >Salut used to drop the presence of people for which it couldn't resolve
> the
> > extra information, but this seemed to give a lot of problems in the mesh
>
> > (people appearing and
> > >disappearing all the time). So as a workaround we switched to only
> dropping
> > presence iff all info about a node has gone. Which has the downside the
> > nodes that are really
> > >gone can still appear on the mesh view for some time (specifically when
> > they didn't send a proper mdns bye packet or when that was dropped).
> >
> > >iff all info about a node has gone
> > what does this mean?
>
> It means that it is hard to decide when a node has really gone or if the
> network link to a certain node is just (temporarily) bad.
>
> In the OLPC office, the second case apparently happens a lot.
>
> > how often do you refresh?
>
> The refresh is done by avahi. Avahi tries every few minutes. Guillame
> worked on
> a patch to make the effect of being unsure about a user less bad (As in
> assume
> that if your unsure about for a certain period of time their actually
> really
> gone).. It still needs to be finished though.
>
> Which means for an end-users point of view, that if a user went away
> without
> doing proper notification, then they will only stay on the meshview for a
> limited amount of time (Say maximum of 10 minutes instead of the current
> situation of more then an hour)

  Sjoerd