Changing keyboard layout

David Leeming PFnet leeming at pipolfastaem.gov.sb
Tue Nov 6 00:40:41 EST 2007

Hello,

I have some B4s with what I assume to be Spanish of Portrugese keyboard
markings. The shift key is labelled "mayus".

We intend to use these with English-speaking children. I am able to change
the Sugar language to English by editing

/etc/sysconfig/i18n

such that the line
LANG="es_AR.UTF-8"

is changed to

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"

I can also change the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as stated in the Wiki section
on customising the NAND image.

But the keyboard layout remains the same; i.e. if one presses the underscore
key, one gets a forward slash - many of the non-alphanumeric keys are also
mixed up.

Can anyone suggest how I can have both English language and the correct
keyboard configuration on these B4s.

I am sorry if this might be quite trivial but I can't easily locate the
solution.

David Leeming
Project Manager, Distance Learning Centres Project (DLCP)
P.O. Box 652, Honiara, Solomon Islands