Conversion to Gray Scale May Not Be Trivial how to make a grayscale image?

Seth Woodworth seth at isforinsects.com
Fri Nov 2 15:11:30 EDT 2007

There are around four completely different methods for converting to
grayscale in photoshop or gimp.  Averaging luminosoty values, aka, Convert
to grayscale, is by most accounts the least interesting method in most
circumstances.  I've worked in pre-press in both color and grayscale
separations, so I've played with each of the versions at one time or
another.  What exactly are we talking about here?  Record activity or
backlight-off mode?