#1574 HIGH BTest-4: sugar activities not working well when low power

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Wed May 30 15:26:45 EDT 2007

You can downgrade the operating system without downgrading the
firmware.  Instructions:

a) Download the 385 NAND image file from

http://olpc.download.redhat.com/olpc/streams/development/build385/devel_jffs2/olpc-redhat-stream-development-build-385-20070406_2306-devel_jffs2.img

b) Copy that file onto a USB FLASH key, changing the name to
"nand385.img".  Put it in the top-level (root) directory to save
typing.  It is best to use an ordinary FAT-formatted key, but you can
use a key with an ext2/3 filesystem if you are careful.

c) Insert the USB FLASH key into the OLPC and boot to the ok prompt (hit
the Esc key during the countdown).

d) Type:
  ok  copy-nand u:\nand385.img

e) When that finishes, remove the USB FLASH key and power-cycle.

f) The system will boot almost normally, but X and sugar will not start
properly.  The reason is because the system configuration script  is
confused by the firmware name that starts with "q2c" instead of "q2b".
That is easy to work around, though.

g) You will see a login screen that will flash every few seconds.  Wait
for it to flash, then when it comes back to the login prompt, quickly
type "root<enter>".  You should get a shell prompt.

h) Wait for it to flash again, and quickly type "killall
prefdm<enter>".  That should stop the flashing.

i) Do this:
    cd /usr/sbin
    mv  olpc-bios-sig  olpc-bios-sig-
    ln -s  /bin/true  olpc-bios-sig