Color vs B&W

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat May 19 03:22:49 EDT 2007

If we are serious about taking advantage of the black/white mode of the
display, there is a lot of work to be done.  Turning off the backlights does
save a lot of power.

As an example, I challenge anybody to play Block Party in B&W mode.  :)

Sorry for the clutter if this is already on the radar.  Is there a checklist
for things like this?

Now that I think about if a bit....

When was the last time you saw a B/W display?  I think it was pre-web for me,
maybe 15 years ago.  Are there any good web pages on designing UIs for B/W
displays?  Maybe some hints on designing for color-blind people might be
helpful.

Is there a simple high-level API so a program can tell if it's running on B/W
or color?  I'm guessing a few applications might be willing to have two modes.

This feels like a giant can of worms.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't notice
it when I first saw something about the dual mode display technology.