Software status meeting minutes

Mitch Bradley wmb at
Wed May 16 01:51:29 EDT 2007

System Software Telecon, 2007-05-15

Attendance: Mitch, J5, Blizzard, Kim, cjb, Bernardo, Jim, Bryan, Luna, 
Vance, Richard,
Ronak, Wad

New action items:

AI: Jim and Chris to check with Jonathan Blandford about Richard Hughes 

B4 schedule.

  Target dates:

   5/28          Verify boot2 code
   6/03*      Nominations for new activities due
   6/08*      OFW build due at Quanta
   6/08*      All software packages due; bug fixes only after this date by
              approval only
   6/08-6/15* Integration and test of system image.
   6/12       B4 SMT prebuild
   6/15*      B4 NAND image due at Quanta
   6/19       B4 Assembly (qty 2000)

So we have 3 weeks before freeze



   - don't have kernel resume working on LX yet
   - don't have DCON source mode working
   Bernardo can help.

   We need a power management daemon soon.  The volunteer is not doing it.

David Woodhouse to be in Boston starting Sunday

Ebook mode is working, but we need to clean it up after the weekend hack 
Hopefully we can integrate it by the end of the week


  Tinderbox 2 is up and running.  Needs a little work on some power rails.
  Running an extended suspend test.  Want to predict lifetime in ebook
  mode - hoping for 20 hours.

  Immediate priority is EC wakeup via keystrokes.

  Working with David Lin to fold new SCI-related changes into EC build.
  We will do a new firmware releasse, but will not try to funnel it
  to Quanta for B3.


  Want to isolate power management milestone from UI milestone

    + Power management needed for B4

  Need to specify sugar milestones for the end of June time frame

    + basic journal that works with some app
    + collaboration that works with a chat client
    + rudimentary peer-to-peer

  When will we switch to FC7?  It might be about a week of work,
  but J5's job will get a lot easier afterwards.  The biggest
  problem will probably be Python 2.5.  Suggest middle of June
  for cutover.  FC7 goes gold at end of May.

  Update system.  We don't have anybody to work on it now.
  It is about two months or work, more or less.


  School server initial feature set

    + network stability
    + tunnel out for monitoring
    + backup
    - No special security for B4


  It is do-able to separate the UI part of the build from the base system
  It is a manual process right now.  We want to automate it, but that
  won't happen by the end of the week.

  We are going to have a repository for activities that won't be in the
  default build.


  We may need to push some B4 bugs out to Trial2.

  We need to start thinking about implementing security

  Machines are locking up at 40 C.  We need to find out if it is OOM or
  thermal shutdown or something else.


  LX firmware is pretty much done, so can resume whatever he was
  working on before the LX cutover changed the game.

  Supporting B3 build.

  Short term: Fixing OFW JFFS2 driver memory utilization - pathological
  1G NAND filesystems take 111MB of RAM, need to reduce that.

  Long-term: Wireless install - What is the time frame?

  Long-term: Security

More information about the Devel mailing list