OLPC Nepal looking for Volunteers for this Summer

Bryan Berry bryan.berry at gmail.com
Wed May 2 21:09:10 EDT 2007

from:
http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/05/were-looking-for-volunteers-for-this.html

As you may read in the previous Post "An Amazing
Educator<http://olpcnepal.blogspot.com/2007/04/amazing-educator.html>,"
a fantastic educator has joined our group. We are looking to work with her
very intensely this summer to implement many of her existing learning
activities and add as many cool activities as we can. In the fall we plan to
visit many, many schools to figure out how kids and teachers react to these
materials.

Right now we have three full-time volunteer developers, all of them Nepali.
We would love four (4) foreign volunteers to come work with us this summer
in Kathmandu. We will pair each foreign volunteer with a Nepali intern. That
should bring our content strike force to 11 people. That would really help
us to advance OLPC in Nepal.

Requirements:
We are looking for experienced programmers. Your age and # of university
degrees are less important to us than your passion for software development.
We seek individuals with significant software development experience on
Linux, ideally in Python, PyGames, C, etc. You should have already run the
OLPC image in an emulator.

You should expect to stay in Nepal for a minimum of 6 weeks. You can stay a
maximum of 5 months due to Nepal's complex visa rules. If your application
is selected, you can start as soon as you can get here.

Compensation:
We are prepared to offer a generous salary package of $0 per month,
reimburse you for a full 0% of your airplane ticket cost, and offer no
health plan. We don't have any $ :) Our office, bandwidth, and computers
have all been donated. We can offer comfortable lodging for a total of four
volunteers. We can accept additional volunteers if they are willing to find
and pay for their own accommodation.

We can offer you an opportunity to work w/ a very passionate team of
engineers on one of the most exciting projects in the world. If you are
interested please send an e-mail with your C.V. and a brief description of
what you have done w/ OLPC so far to bryan at olpcnepal dot org

Unfortunately, summer is monsoon season so Nepal aweseome trekking isn't a
good idea. Still, it's been a weird year weather-wise. We'll try to get you
out for a trek near the end of the summer.

We'll take you running/hiking in the hills surrounding Kathmandu if you are
so inclined and subject you to Ankur's bad jokes (and they are very bad).

The Work:
You will work closely with our lead developers Shankar, Ankur, and Himali
Kiran and our lead educator Christine Stone. You will help implement a
series of activities based on PyGame and/or GCompris. That means writing a
lot of Python, possibly some C, working with sound libraries, and more. If
you have some exciting ideas for power management or mesh networking, we may
find some time to work on them w/ you. However, you should expect to spend
most of your time building Sugar activities, getting feedback from
Christine, revising, showing to kids and teachers, repeat.

We will expect you to train the Nepali intern assigned to you. The intern
will most likely be an undergraduate computer science student.

The development team will frequently interact with kids and teachers over
the course of the summer.

We intend to recruit education volunteers at a later date. I'll save that
for a future blog entry.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Volunteer