Network association algorithm

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Wed May 2 09:04:27 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 08:09:32AM -0400, Michail Bletsas wrote:
> The radios already do power control automatically in Infrastructure
> mode,

Agreed, my tests with detuned AM broadcast radios close to the left-hand
antenna show a marked change in cross-band interference products when
a laptop in infrastructure mode is closer to an access point or peer in
ad-hoc.

> we need to confirm that this works in mesh mode too.

I suspect that it does.  I'm interested to know the real answer.

I just did a half hour test in mesh mode, with access point off, using
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Mesh_Network_Details#Usage and found at least
four distinct levels detected in this way, depending on the distance
between two units, with one unit doing a "ping -f" of the other.  The
thresholds between each level seemed to be logarithmic by distance ...
in that there were more thresholds the closer the units got to each
other.

In http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Wireless_Driver_README there are no obvious
signal to noise measurements for mesh mode.  Each SNR measurement
specifically says it is for infrastructure.