new font, kernel problem, and Unicode problem

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Wed May 2 00:19:20 EDT 2007

On 5/1/07, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 22:47 -0400, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> > Can we say the same for French, German, and Spanish? People seem
> > to like having non-ASCII filenames and even process names.
>
> Yes, and they don't have to display on the console; only geeks use the
> Linux console for anything other than initial booting.

I agree with the second part for sure. I happen to think that
supporting and encouraging geeks is rather critical though.
They are the ones who can benefit most from a computer.

Imagine if the letters "j" and "g" were printed as boxes.
Really, try to imagine it. Your home directory is two to eight
boxes, little boxes, all the same. You'd hate that.