XO avatars

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Mar 30 15:42:03 EDT 2007

> Is there any thought to composing the avatars from a set of components?

Why not use the camera?

I've worked with a "faces" mail system that tossed up a new icon whenever you
received new mail from somebody.  We had a picture for everybody in the
group.  (and a big collection of corporate/university logos for when the
individual wasn't in the database)

I forget how big they were.  Google found one mention of a utility to
compress/decompress 48x48 face pictures.

I remember being impressed at how well it worked with such a small space.
Mostly it was instant recognition with just a quick glance.  There were a few
people in the group with pictures that were similar enough to cause me
troubles.  For those I had to take a long look.