power management

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 01:40:28 EDT 2007

On 3/30/07, Richard A. Smith <richard at laptop.org> wrote:
> Albert Cahalan wrote:
>
> > Well, how many steps do you have? Divide the battery life by that
> > to get the maximum rate. If that's not more than 1 per minute,
> > then you might as well report every change.
>
> Nobody has presented a use case for a continuous system so what I'm

Here are two.

Use case: a battery display
Use case: power use measurement for software developers

I'm sure others will discover more uses.

As long as the wakeups wouldn't be frequent enough to
have a real impact on battery life, providing the info is good.
Ignoring unneeded info is easier than hacking up new
EC firmware to get the info.

I've been thinking that one could hack gcc to optimize
for power usage or make valgrind estimate power usage.
Good power measurement on unmodified hardware is
an enabling feature for such projects.