XS Server specs: backup plan??, new user info

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 29 17:18:24 EDT 2007

> Yes. Essentially, the school server acts like a trickle cache, taking
> on the kids' backups and then sending them upstream to the Big Server
> Farm in the Sky (BSFITS) when link utilization is low, such as at
> night.

Thanks.

Is there any documentation for that plan?  I didn't get any hits on BSFITS
when searching the Wiki.

Is it really part of the official plan, or just some informal handwaving
because it isn't high enough priority to worry about yet?

Has anybody back-of-enveloped the numbers?  Will schools have an adequate
uplink?  Are there plans to collect the data?  What sort of hardware for the
BSFITS...

PS: My new users checklist missed phishing.