power management

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 28 23:17:08 EDT 2007

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_specification

> Some qns I have:
> 1. Does the hardware support Voltage/Frequency scaling?

No.

> 2. What kind of sleep modes does it support?

Suspend to RAM.

But we can leave the display image intact on the screen, and the
wireless interface forwarding packets.  So the system can appear to be
operating even with the processor suspended.

> 3. Is there an infrastructure for power measurements?

Being set up; not fully ready yet.

> Do we have any current drain measurements/readings?

Just some very early ones.

> 4. Where are you experiencing the instability..is it at the hardware
> layer or the syspend-resume mechanism?
> 5. Recently we did a lot of cleanup in the kernel to short-circuit the
> default pm_suspend process, which has unnecessary layers that trumps
> the suspends... the biggest one that comes to my mind is the dealing
> with UNINTERRUPTIBLE SLEEP processes. I am not sure if you are
> experiencing similar issues?
> 6. Is there a need for periodic wakeup? on mobile devices its required
> to wakeup almost every minute to update clock display, battery level,
> rf levels.it makes sense to sync up all these activities during the
> wakeup period.I am not sure if a laptop has such a requirement..

Yes, we can anticipate probably doing this; but we have an embedded
controller which will reduce the need.

> 7. Usually display/backlight is the biggest sucker of power.. do we
> use any special displays that support partial refresh?

We have a novel display.

In reflective mode, at 25hz, it consumes 100mw.  In backlight color
mode, it consumes a maximum of 1 watt, using LED backlights.

Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child