802.11s portals

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Mar 28 00:38:06 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 00:29 -0400, scott at gnuveau.net wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does the Marvel chip have the capability to connect to standard
> 802.11a/b/g access points, or is that the issue raised here?

Yes, it does have the capability to do that (and the XOs are using that
capability).  I believe the OP was asking about how people could
construct their own mesh portals that an OLPC laptop would use to
connect to the internet over mesh.  Right now nobody outside OLPC can do
that because nobody has the USB dongle that the mesh-enabled firmware
runs on, and even though the XBox 360 wireless adapters are essentially
the same hardware, they don't work for some reason.

We only have USB reference dongles which aren't suitable for real use,
plus the fact that they are not in large production runs makes them
unsuitable for wide use anyway.  We'll obviously have to figure out
something.

Another solution would be to implement an 802.11s stack that understands
the XO's specific 802.11s implementation in the kernel's mac80211
stack/framework that would run on any softmac card.  That takes a bit of
work though :)

Dan