radio testing, press to talk hack

Brian Cavagnolo brian at cozybit.com
Mon Mar 26 15:49:02 EDT 2007

Hello James,

> I've set up a script that lets me "press to talk" into the microphone
> of a unit and have the sound come out the speakers of all the other
> units in the mesh.  Sort of like how a radio transceiver works.

I'm working on a similar (okay, practically identical) application.
The target is a mesh network very similar to the OLPC's.  The
implementation depends on Pulse Audio, and is based on the RTP modules
included therewith.  Pulse Audio handles all the mixing, so
simultaneous talkers are supported.  I call the modules the PTT (i.e.,
push-to-talk) modules.  I've posted the source code along with a
README and a simple python script to control it.   The python script
depends on pygtk to paint the push-to-talk button.  You can check it
out at:

http://www.cozybit.com/projects/pa_ptt/

So far, I've played with it over two mesh nodes.  Performance is
tolerable.  I expect to refine it over the next few weeks.  Thoughts,
opinions, and patches are welcome.

Ciao,
Brian