OS upgrades are painful

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Mar 19 13:18:08 EDT 2007

> yes good question!
> why doesnt the devlopment build have GCC, rpm, cvs and many other
> needed tools? Or are we too fearful to confront 512 mb is NOT enough
> storage?

Heh.

We packaged and ran gcc and friends on iPAQ's with 32-64 meg of flash.

We do want space for educational content available, so filling the flash
is not a great thing.

I think it would be a great idea to build an image that can be used on a
USB key or SD card with a much larger set of developer tools.

Personally, however, when doing development on the iPAQ, I found it
easiest to mount an NFS file system from a much faster machine, and do
my development on that fast machine, and then run the binaries on the

                                         - Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child