Mesh Networking Interoperability

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sat Mar 17 05:15:55 EDT 2007

> Right; that's the problem.  I doubt it would work on those distros
> without a lot of work.  Basically, if you want an XO mesh
> interoperable device that's _not_ using the Marvell Libertas 8388
> chipset, you need full access to the driver source, and if the device
> is a fullmac chip, the firmware sources too.  I'd imagine most softmac
> cards would be much easier to deal with because the smarts are in the
> driver, not the firmware.

Frys/Outpost.com has the Linksys WRT54GL for $60.  It has a Broadcom
BCM2050KWL.  (I think.  That's from the web with nothing in hand to verify
but I haven't found any conflicting opinions either.)

Broadcom's press release (2002) says it's a 802.11a/b chipset
  http://www.broadcom.com/press/release.php?id=315414

Broadcom has a long track record of being very not-open with specs so I'm
more than a bit suspicious.

I pulled over the tar file from Linksys but haven't found the sources for the
driver yet.  Probably I got the wrong tar file.

Is that driver open enough to make this sort of hacking possible?  Is there a
box at a similar pricepoint that uses a more open chipset?