Alternate Power Supplies

scott at gnuveau.net scott at gnuveau.net
Fri Mar 16 01:04:28 EDT 2007

Hi Jordan,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Jordan Crouse wrote:

> On 15/03/07 23:53 -0400, scott at gnuveau.net wrote:
> > Hi Bert,
> >
> > On Fri, 16 Mar 2007, Chris Ball wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Bert,
> > >
> > >    > Hi folks, what voltage does the power jack actually accept?
> > >
> > > The current safe range is 10-19V; the input caps are rated at 25V.
> >
> > You could power that from a solar cell without need for a charge
> > controller or external regulator.  How many Amperes do the boards
> > require? how many Amp Hours do the batteries hold, at what voltage?
>
> Very, very crude measurements indicate that a B1 board drew about
> .625 amps full on at 12V.

Does that include display?  What is the current draw when charging the
battery?  I'm guessing 1.5 A or so.  So approximate 18-20W of PV per board
assuming the battery is depleted when connected to the power source.  Were
this installed in a school of say, 20 students, a 400W PV array could
operate the laptops during the school session, and send the children home
with fully charged batteries.  One would probably want a charge controller
and battery system for such an application, as there would likely be
static local devices to power also, but for a single laptop a 15W
panel would likely do without the additional electronics, assuming my
specualtion as to draw while charging is correct.

Scott