Troubles getting started...

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Mar 15 18:53:26 EDT 2007

[Installing new software]

cjb at laptop.org said:
> I use mkfs.vfat and partition type "b"

That worked.  Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that I tried something close to that.  If this is
interesting, I'll try to figure out what does/doesn't work.  If not, I won't
waste any time.

wmb at firmworks.com said:
> It is also possible to use factory-formatted USB storage.

Not after you have cleaned out the junk that came on it  :)

It came with 4 partitions, with at least a few that I didn't recognize.  I
wasn't expecting troubles like this so I didn't preserve the old settings
when I made 1 big partiton.

[USB wired Ethernet]

cjb at laptop.org said:
> This should work, as we just use the standard Linux asix driver.  I
> suggest upgrading to build303 and trying again, since a problem with
> some asix devices (since fixed) was introduced into the mainline
> Linux kernel a month or two ago.

The new software just worked using DHCP.