Mesh Networking Interoperability (Dan Williams)

Flavio Coelho fccoelho at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 07:22:11 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am no expert in wireless networking, so forgive me if I say something
stupid. ;-)

Regarding the network interoperability, Dan mentions (see below) that
802.11b/g routers could participate in the mesh after a firmware upgrade.

Unless this is considered a security issue, it would be nice to provide more
information on this topic since if we could stimulate volunteers to patch
their wireless routers to help extend the OLPC mesh. This way  we could
easily achieve city wide coverage due to the ubiquity of home wireless
routers in a city like Rio de Janeiro,for instance, who will soon have a
buch of XOs roaming around.

People could even be stimulated to donate internet bandwith in exchange
being able to use the mesh, away from home, for their own internet
conectivity. (Rio doesn't have muni wifi)

If this Idea doesn't sound too crazy (or naive) to you, I suggest starting a
how-to in the wiki.

--
Flávio Codeço Coelho
registered Linux user # 386432