Touchpad stylus mode

Zephaniah E. Hull warp at aehallh.com
Tue Mar 13 16:42:31 EDT 2007

Sorry for the delay.

1 should work fine, grabbing the device should get you the coordinates
properly and everything should more or less Just Work.

There seems to be a bug somewhere with the scaling code, in that the PT
device isn't getting scaled to the screen size, that's on my todo list
to figure out the cause of.

2 is a bit harder.

Firstly, the PT sensor is currently setup as an absolute device
independent of the GS sensor, and it should be scaled to the screen so
that there is a roughly 1 to 1 mapping between a point on the PT sensor,
and a point on the screen.

Now, that's not the final state.  There was a lot of work spent in the
latter part of last year on being able to do calibration, such as
setting the scaling min/max values, flipping X and Y, rotation, and the
Z axis button threshold (A Z value >= that value causes a button press).

There is also protocol support for setting the area of the absolute
device, the width of it on the screen, the hight on the screen, the X/Y
offset on the screen to move that area around, what screen in a
multi-screen setup, and the ability to specify that the area offset is
being pushed around by another input device.

Now, note that I said that there is _protocol_ support.  Work on this
more or less stopped when we hit the B1 touchpad issues that caused the
change from being able to use both the GS and PT and the same time, to
having to switch between them.

Further, that protocol support is not in any current release, but is in
the mainline git tree, and should hit maybe the next xorg release.

Some work is going to be required to get xf86-input-evdev to do
something with the new fields, and some server work is going to be
needed to hook in the following support.

At some point I need to move a machine over to a git X server and start
work on adapting xf86-input-evdev to it, but exactly when and how
quickly is still up in the air.

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
	  1024D/E65A7801 Zephaniah E. Hull <warp at aehallh.com>
	   92ED 94E4 B1E6 3624 226D  5727 4453 008B E65A 7801