Flash 9 and the webcam

Jonathan Corbet corbet at lwn.net
Mon Mar 12 23:14:44 EDT 2007

olpc at earthling.za.net wrote:

> I am trying to get Flash 9's camera access to work on the built-in XO
> webcam. At the moment I get no image and think that this might be due to
> the kernel only supporting video4linux v2 while Flash 9 requires v1.

The V4L1 emulation provided by the kernel works in *almost* every case.
On the other hand, there's a thousand things which can go wrong with a
video application when it encounters a new driver.  Often it's something
totally different: wanting interlaced video, for example.

So, to track this down, we'll need some more information.  Can you get
into this application and see which calls are actually failing?

Thanks,

jon