Webcam support in Squeak (for VOLPC)

salsaman salsaman at xs4all.nl
Wed Mar 7 16:11:43 EST 2007

Dan Williams wrote:

>On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 21:32 +0100, salsaman wrote:
>

>>Dan Williams wrote:
>>

>>>We run a 1200x900 framebuffer.  You also need EXA acceleration memory
>>>and more memory for RandR rotation.  Moving to 24-bit would mean the
>>>loss of an additional 6MB of system memory on top of the existing 4 or 6
>>>we already lose to framebuffer.
>>>

>>Please tell me you at least support YUV hardware scaling using SDL ?
>>
>>Otherwise the framerates from LiVES in fullscreen mode will be abyssmal
>>- trying to get GDK to resize an image to 1200x900 and then converting
>>from 888 to 565 on a slow CPU will probaly result in about 1 fps (or
>>less...)
>>

>Yes, it will be slow.  The Geode has hardware YUV -> RGB conversion and
>hardware scaling support which as Jordan noted is accessible through Xv.
>
>Again, the OLPC is not meant to be even a medium line Thinkpad or
>desktop or whatever that's on the market today.  You simply will not get
>the performance you probably are looking for.  That's just the way the
>world works.
>
>You'll have to spend time optimizing your program for the OLPC machine
>if you want decent performance, and that may entail downsizing your
>expectations of how fast things are expected to go, and adjusting your
>code accordingly.  It's a $100 laptop, not a $500 laptop.
>
>Dan

I simply don't have time to do any big changes to LiVES. By the time I
get the laptop, I will have about two weeks to play with it before I fly
to Brazil for FISL. I will be back in Europe in June, but then it looks
like I will have to get a full time job to support myself. (Despite four
years of trying, I have been unable to find anyone interested in
sponsoring my work on LiVES/videojack/livido, etc). I even had to sell
my house last year so I could continue working on my FOSS projects.
Perhaps in 2008 I might be able to continue, there is a small
possibility of some LiVES funding then from a university in Brazil.

So basically, unless it works "out of the box", or a miracle happens,
it's probably not going to be possible for me to port LiVES to the OLPC
this year.

Regards,
Gabriel, main developer, LiVES
http://lives.sourceforge.net