last day for another stable build

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Mar 5 21:34:50 EST 2007

Ronak,

"Bugs are good" - Doug Clark

I'd like to encourage a bit different view of the situation, and that
the what your propose below become the norm, rather than the exception.

Rather than there being one set of firmware which has seen a full QA
cycle as the "norm", I urge that there also be an experimental version
of firmware also available that has not necessarily completed the full
formal QA cycle.

Here's my reasoning:

Formal QA testing has some *really* good characteristics: it is much
more likely to uncover certain classes of bugs (e.g. memory leaks that
occur over time, as an explicit test that is left running for days can
uncover such bugs better than the much more random testing done by
developers or experimenters). It's also good at preventing previously
seen bugs from reappearing (regression testing), and scaling may also be
systematically tested.

But it is very much less effective at uncovering new bugs: formal
testing is always done the same way, and only after you've released such
QA'ed software would you even start using the firmware in other
environments and circumstances not expected by the formal QA process
that might discov new bugs.

If all firmware goes through an extended QA cycle before it sees the
light of day, then you have in effect serialized the discovery of new
bugs that formal QA can not find, as you will generally not have the
right hardware/software to trigger the bugs in your test environment,
until *after* you've seen the bug, reproduced it, and added explicit
tests to your test environment.

A good example of this was recently provided by the problems associating
with the WRT54GL access points; until this problem was noted, the
process to isolate the bug, and then add the hardware to a QA testing
environment doesn't even begin.

If all testing in the field is left until after an extended formal QA
cycle, then those discoveries and fixes will not start for an extended
period; putting both a QA'ed and an experimental set of firmware in
parallel will speed the process of bug discovery and bug killing.

Certainly, when we get to the BTest-3 and CTest builds, and for FRS for
sure, we'll likely want to choose to use a set of firmware that has
completed a full QA cycle; but I believe we should be planning on a two
track development path on the firmware, to speed the bug discovery
process as much as possible.
                                 Best regards,
                                       - Jim Gettys
.