System update spec proposal

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 14:30:09 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 14:31 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:

> We're currently using a tmpfs for these (/var/log, /var/run, plus
> others)
> so they aren't being written to the flash at all.  I'd rather have us
> keep doing that than turn them off, since we're throwing away useful
> in-the-field debugging information (for anyone who wants to help fix
> laptops remotely, not just us) if we turn them off.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the tmpfs bits even though they crossed my
mind.  That means it's using memory and not saving the contents across
reboots which limits their value quite a bit, I think.  Anyway, I would
rather have a way to turn that on in the field rather than leave it on
for everyone.  It's just not that useful for the users unless there's
some kind of automated reporting or way to get at the data easily.  As
it stands today there isn't.  And logging in sugar is handled
differently.

--Chris