System update spec proposal

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Wed Jun 27 12:39:38 EDT 2007

David Woodhouse wrote:
> Nevertheless, it's an accurate description of what happened. To avoid
> ruffling feathers unnecessarily I suppose I should have made it clear
> that there is no blame to be assigned here -- the kernel hackers who
> would ideally have worked on this were simply busy doing more important
> things like power management and didn't do anything more than just say
> "No, VServer is not workable", which evidently wasn't taken sufficiently
> seriously.
>
> The plan of record is to use this vserver crap for as short a period of
> time as possible, until we can implement something which is supportable
> upstream.

Could we get a summary of what the problem is:

    * implementation?
          o do we need to get some people working on a vserver-like
            structure that has some different implementation
            characteristics?
                + cleaner or more logical
                + more extensive/involved
                + better integrated
                + lighter-weight
    * idea?
          o is the idea of a hardened chroot environment just not a
            workable solution at all? (why)
                + do we need to come up with some other way to solve the
                  application isolation problem?
          o is there already some project in-process that has more
            desirable characteristics yet won't land until too late?
                + can we point people at that project to accelerate
                  uptake and thus development

Even just some pointers to the discussion that lead to the plan of
record so that those of us who are recruiting people know who we need to
recruit and what project to point them at to have the most benefit.
We've got lots and lots of people willing to stand up and work, but we
haven't got the well-defined projects to point them at to get them involved.

I realise the people involved are busy, so just a simple pointer to a
mailing list or whatever would be sufficient.

Thanks,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder