mesh network vs broadcast/multicast question

Michail Bletsas mbletsas at laptop.org
Wed Jun 27 11:22:36 EDT 2007

You can find the (layer-2) neighbors using the
iwpriv msh0 fwt_list_neigh n
command. Combining that information with a (persistent) ARP table can give
you the IP addresses.

The mesh TTL field will eventually be tunable on a per packet basis.

M.

Alexander Larsson <alexl at redhat.com>
06/27/2007 09:20 AM

Michail Bletsas <mbletsas at laptop.org>
cc
Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat.com>, olpc-devel <devel at lists.laptop.org>
Subject
Re: mesh network vs broadcast/multicast question

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 11:34 -0400, Michail Bletsas wrote:
> The key point to remember in order to derive answers to these questions
is
> that our mesh network operates at layer-2
> For all practical purposes, there aren't any differences between
broadcast
> and multicast frames and every node maintains a table of recently
> forwarded broadcast frames so that they are not broadcasted multiple
> times.
>
> One can limit the radious of the (layer-2) neighborhood be means of
> controlling the Mesh TTL field.

That is a global setting though, and not something we want applications
to touch.

Is there a way for a program to figure out which of a list of ip
addresses are neighbours in the mesh (i.e. 1 hop away)?