mesh network vs broadcast/multicast question

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Jun 27 09:51:26 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-27 at 15:18 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 11:34 -0400, Michail Bletsas wrote:
> > The key point to remember in order to derive answers to these questions is
> > that our mesh network operates at layer-2
> > For all practical purposes, there aren't any differences between broadcast
> > and multicast frames and every node maintains a table of recently
> > forwarded broadcast frames so that they are not broadcasted multiple
> > times.
> >
> > One can limit the radious of the (layer-2) neighborhood be means of
> > controlling the Mesh TTL field.
>
> That is a global setting though, and not something we want applications
> to touch.
>
> Is there a way for a program to figure out which of a list of ip
> addresses are neighbours in the mesh (i.e. 1 hop away)?

Some combination of the ARP cache and the forwarding table from the
firmware would probably be able to give us that information.  For each
node that is 1 hop away in the fowarding table, check the ARP cache and
grab the IP address.  '/sbin/iwpriv msh0 fwt_list' gives you the FWT
info, though the fields are a bit hard to discern unless you've got the
driver source.

Dan