Power Management

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Fri Jun 8 16:01:05 EDT 2007

On 08.06.2007 17:57, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> On 08/06/07 16:49 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
>> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 11:42 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:
>>>    * if there isn't a software tick (dynticks/tickless) planned for the
>>>      very near future
>> Can we get this info from the kernel?
>
> Probably not - and if you could, the latency to tell you would probably
> be longer then the delay.  This will also have to be automatically triggered.

Why not go the other way round?
Tell the kernel something like "go to sleep if the next tick happens after
the minimum duration of one sleep-wakeup cycle" and let the kernel decide.
If the kernel decides to go to sleep, the cost is zero. Otherwise, the
syscall (or sysfs write or whatever else) will cost you probably still
less time than polling this info from userspace.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel