Power Management

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at vrplumber.com
Fri Jun 8 12:07:35 EDT 2007

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-08 at 11:42 -0400, Chris Ball wrote:

>> This should be fine -- when your opponent's move's network traffic hits
>> the Marvell chip, it will assert a wakeup and the CPU'll come back and
>> process the traffic.
>>

> That's some pretty sweet hardware.

Indeed.  Extremely useful!  I'm gathering this works via an "if there's
a packet directed at the local machine, wake and ask to process".
Assuming that's correct, do we have a way to filter out bad actors
wanting to drain the battery of a given machine?

I can just imagine 30 kids getting together to prank user X by arranging
to ping her every Y seconds to run down her battery (at ~30 times the
speed of one of the prankster's machines).  Letting the user opt out of
the wake-on-lan entirely, or opt not to wake-on-lan for a given
routing/iptables rule-match would be a useful security measure I would
think.  Probably too late and too complex an approach, but just a thought.

Just a thought,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder