Splitting the ncurses RPM

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Mon Jun 4 08:06:59 EDT 2007

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 11:24:33PM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
> The ncurses package carries 2MB worth of terminfo database
> that almost nobody cares to install.  Could we move them
> to a separate ncurses-data package so that space constrained
> installs could easily get rid of them?

Well, nobody cares until "Error opening terminal" message appears
while trying to start an ncurses or slang application.

But yes, most of the terminals descriptions could be moved to a
subpackage and add it to comps' core group so it's installed by
default. The base package would have only few selected descriptions
that are widely used.

Would that be ok?

> The OLPC would certainly remove it, and maybe we could
> safely remove them from default Fedora installs too.

I'm not sure about removing terminfo from default Fedora install,
Users can connect via ssh and use many different terminals.

--
Miroslav Lichvar