Google Gears included?

Noah Kantrowitz kantrn at rpi.edu
Mon Jun 4 05:13:25 EDT 2007

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> I know it's way too early to ask about GG on OLPC :-)
>
> But -- speaking from the POV of a web-based tool dev (such as moodle)
> it'd be _great_ to have GG or something similar embedded in the
> Sugarised webbrowser, whether it is Gecko or Webkit based.

SJ and I were actually chatting about this earlier tonight (yesterday?).
Gears is a nice idea, but really doesn't fit with the model that Sugar
is going for. For example, you wouldn't be able to get to the store or
journal from within JS. Making something similar but targeted more
towads the various OLPC-specific technologies is one option, but
probably would be very non-trivial to do. Chances are if you need
persistence, you should really start thinking about making a real, local
activity.

--Noah