"Could not activate this XO" error

Kim Quirk kim at laptop.org
Sun Jul 22 16:58:44 EDT 2007

I don't recommend that your rename your nand to a higher build number than
it actually is just to avoid a downgrade. You may never be able to catch up
(or catch back down to the proper version).

To downgrade (I will add this to the wiki page on reinstallation as well):

Find a build such as 515 (known to be pretty good). Download the .img and
.crc files to a USB stick. They can be at the root but they have to be in
the same directory.

Boot up the laptop by pressing the power button and hold down the gamepad X
button.

When the message asks you to stop pressing it, let go.

Then press the escape key when it gives you 3 seconds to stop the rest of
the boot.

>From this OK prompt you should be able to type: copy-nand u:\nand515.img
(don't forget the \boot directory if you put this file in the boot
directory)

Assuming that started correctly you will end up with a 515 build and then
you can proceed to upgrade with the correct files on your usb stick for the
new upgrade procedure.

(Note: After you've downgraded you might want to remove the 515 build from
your USB stick, especially if you put it on the \boot directory of your usb
stick. It is important that you have the correct .fth, .img, and .crc in the
boot directory of the usb in order to upgrade properly with activation.
Having more than one .img in there might cause problems.)

Hope that helps,
Kim