GPLv3

Joshua N Pritikin jpritikin at pobox.com
Fri Jul 13 15:21:47 EDT 2007

On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:51:08PM -0400, Frank Ch. Eigler wrote:
> Bernardo Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org> writes:
> > [...]
> > Anyway, I was merely wondering rather than pushing for it.
> > If you ask me, yes, I mildly prefer the v3 over the v2.
>
> Isn't there a concern that the on-board security firmware in XO would
> constitute tivoization essentially of the same sort that GPLv3 aims to
> block?

What security feature specifically? My understanding of GPL3 is that the
end-user has should have the same ability to replace the software
running on the device as the manufacturer has. With respect to OLPC,
this requirement would be fulfilled by giving out developer keys upon
request.

--
Make April 15 just another day, visit http://fairtax.org