GPLv3

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Fri Jul 13 12:39:05 EDT 2007

Can we please temporarily shelve this discussion until after we've
shipped this machine?  I know some of the decision makers/influencers,
myself included, just won't have time to invest in understanding the
issues until then.

And note that in all aggregated work projects, which OLPC is, it
requires essentially unanimity to effect a license change.  If someone
asked my opinion right now, for example, it would be "Duh, I dunno: I
need between a day and a week to understand the issues...."
                              - Jim

On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 22:11 +0545, Prasanna Gautam wrote:
> It doesn't make much difference relicensing because most of the codes
> involved are in GPL v2 or later anyways. So I think the best strategy
> is to wait and see what comes up. But maybe GPLv3 can help us counter
> pontential Tivotization ( i.e proprietary competing products using
> OLPC codebase ... depends how far its good....)
>
> On 7/13/07, Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote:
>         On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 05:36:45AM -0400, Bernardo Innocenti
>         wrote:
>         >  Greg KH wrote:
>         > > On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 01:37:46AM -0400, Bernardo
>         Innocenti wrote:
>         > >> Are we going to relicense Sugar and all the software
>         > >> specifically written for the OLPC under the GPLv3?
>         > > What would the benifit be?
>         >
>         >  The FSF rationale for the GPLv3 is given here:
>         >   http://www.gnu.org/licenses/rms-why-gplv3.html
>
>         Believe me, I know the FSF rationale quite well :)
>
>         I was just asking why _you_ think the code should be
>         relicensed.  What
>         benefit do you think there is for it?
>
>         thanks,
>
>         greg k-h