Early boot, activation, upgrades

Ivan Krstić krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Jul 10 16:14:18 EDT 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 3:52 PM, Mitch Bradley wrote:
> Whirlpool takes 1.16 sec/MiB.  SHA512 takes 0.42 sec/MiB  (on a preB3,
> i.e. an LX CPU).

Maybe we have to change the primitives we're using. These timings are
entirely acceptable for BIOS updates, but not quite enjoyable for
every boot (which we didn't have in mind when we were rolling the
crypto). We could come down to shorter RSA and ECC, and SHA-256 and
256-bit truncated Whirlpool. Unfortunately, our crypto audit has been
performed on the current set of primitives.

Jon, do you think you would be able to audit the LTC SHA-256 code
reasonably quickly, and do you have qualms about the NIST 256-bit ECC
curve triggering unaudited code paths? I'm not familiar with that code.

--
Ivan Krstić <krstic at solarsail.hcs.harvard.edu> | http://radian.org