e-Book reader

C. Scott Ananian cscott at cscott.net
Mon Jul 9 23:14:58 EDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Ian Bicking wrote:
> > Yoric wrote:
> >> Latest opened/added reference wins.
> >> If there's no reference to the book in the database, an error page shows
> >> up, asking the user to please locate the book using File:Open and try
> >> again.
> >> If the reference to the book in the db is obsolete, the same error page
> >> shows up.

> > With library: you are keying books off ids.  http: is just keying books off
> > the URI, which is a string just like the id is a string.  It's okay to just
> > treat it as a string.

I would also rather see us use http:// as our protocol scheme.  Http
seems to answer three of the above questions:
  a) who owns the identifier 'http://cscott.net/ElectronicsTextbook'
       the people behind cscott.net, of course.  this prevents id duplication.
  b) what happens if I don't actually have the ElectronicsTextbook on my machine
      the URI gives you a location where you can download it.
      (although we have a lot of flexibility about what content gets
served from that URL --
       it could just be a redirection or metadata of some kind)
  c) how do I tell if my ElectronicTextbook is the "real" ElectronicsTextbook
      I can always compare it to the canonical version, using (for
example) http etags.

I haven't heard the counter-argument for 'library:', so maybe I'm
missing some compelling reason to invent our own protocol, but this
seems like another case where we should be reusing rather than
reinventing.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )