kernel driver removals

James Cameron quozl at us.netrek.org
Thu Jan 25 00:26:51 EST 2007

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 01:18:14PM +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Userspace NFSD is not something we should be considering.

Why not?  It has considerable advantages ... mainly due to it not
needing any significant kernel support.

> Agreed. A firewall is a band-aid for broken software. Let's not ship
> broken software.

But watch out for perceptions.  People think we are shipping Linux, and
Linux is normally shipped with this.  The lack of firewall capability
could hurt the project publically.  Defense in depth.

I'd prefer that the modules be available if needed, but not in the core
distribution, but rather in packages.  I think I've said that before.
;-)