OLPC Flash discussion

Zjnue Brzavi zjnue.brzavi at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 22 06:15:34 EST 2007

> That sounds quite intriguing, I'd like to hear more about this, and
> how Alan's visit with Adobe went.
>
> -Zak

Hello Zak,

Thanks for the interest. Here are some links to an informal xinf
presentation and two more related technologies. Maybe we can schedule
a discussion to see which flash-like solution best addresses the need
for an open platform exposing the most learning potential?

Best,
Zjnue

xinf:
http://video.kiberpipa.org/media/SU_Xinf_is_not_flash/video.ogg
http://video.kiberpipa.org/media/SU_Xinf_is_not_flash/play.html
http://www.videolan.org/

SWHX:
http://haxe.org/swhx

xCross:
http://code.google.com/p/xcross/wiki/help

Here is a recent post by Nicolas making quick distinctions
between the technologies mentioned above.

from		Nicolas Cannasse <ncannasse at motion-twin.com>
to		The haXe compiler list <haxe at lists.motion-twin.com>
date		Jan 7, 2007 1:50 PM
subject		Re: [haXe] Announcing xCross Alpha

> But now I am now confused with xCross, xinf and SWHX, don't they serve
> all the same purpose or ist xCross just more low level and facilitates
> just the native compilation (but requires native compiler for each
> target platform) to get the single binary output ?

Neko can be compiled on Windows, OSX and Linux. Both SWHX and XInf are
specific Neko libraries :
 - SWHX enable you to open a Flash window and play a SWF inside it
 - XInf use its own API and have an OpenGL renderer

xCross enable you to produce binaries that consists in one single
executable file. It does not require Neko to be installed or available.
OTOH, it doesn't allow more libraries than what is statically provided.

xCross is a perfect solution for example to build haXe/Neko based
installers since you can store your files into a ZIP and link it with
the installer by using -resource haXe commandline option.