cross tools for OLPC

Rob Savoye rob at welcomehome.org
Sun Jan 21 23:46:26 EST 2007

I made a fresh snapshot of my cross tool chain for the OLPC that matches
  build 239. You can grab this from http://gnash.lulu.com/tools/. Buried
in the tarballs is also a working Ming for the OLPC, including the
makeswf compiler, plus an initial port of Gnash CVS to the OLPC. There
are two tarballs. One was produced on an Ubuntu 6.10 system, and is
roughly the GCC 4.1 release. The other is from a FC5 system, and is GCC
CVS from a few days ago. (roughly 4.3) Either tarball should run on most
GNU/Linux distributions. Included are most all the development packages
one would need. Currently this tool chain doesn't do any geode specific
optimizations, but the next snapshot will.

To cross compile something with this, compile with
--build=`config.guess` --host=-386-olpc-linux --prefix=/usr/local/olpc.
(assuming you installed this in /usr/local) OLPC is the vendor field of
the config string. Most configure script tests work the same for
compiler based tests, you may on occasion find configure gets things
like the xml2-config from the build system instead of the host system. I
tweaked Gnash's configure (which is reasonably complex) to always do the
right thing when cross compiling, but I also tested this with quite a
few other applications, all built and ran fine. Your mileage may vary...

You can grab my initial cross-compiled Gnash from
http://gnash.lulu.com/olpc/ if you want to play with it. You'll need to
install the agg curl and boost runtime packages first. This is an
initial port, you still have to launch standalone gnash from the command
line and specify the Flash movie name. I'm sure there are other bugs. :-)

The fun part is going to be trying to make Gnash render Flash from
within the web browser, but that's the next project.

	- rob -