proposal/wishlist for OLPC book viewer (was Re: do the directional pad (d-pad or directional buttons) work on B1 hardware?)

Brewster Kahle brewster at archive.org
Sun Jan 21 10:52:30 EST 2007

The PDF's and the DJVU's on archive.org are similar in structure (MRC)
and both highly compressed and have OCR.  We have 100k books now, and we
are scanning at over 12k/month-- let us know what you want scanned!

   There is a text layer (OCR with position information) that allows
searching and cut-and-paste.

   There is a background layer that is a low rez jpg (I believe).

   There is a foreground layer that is a 1-bit JBIG (I believe) layer
that is compressed.  This basically holds the black-and-white plane of
the text.

   Then there is a very lowrez foreground color mask just in case the
JBIG layer is not black.

I will try to launch xbook again, but in the lastest build it did not
work for me from our website.

An proposal/wishlist for a OLPC book viewer could be:

   * views PDF's (such as ours, see below) rotated in one-page-up view,
and not rotated in 2-up view.  fill the screen.

   * operate in tablet mode with the directional keys doing navigation
from one page to the next and some way to zoom into a page and get to
search.

   * work in "streaming" mode so that the pdf does not need to be fully
downloaded to start viewing.  (may need a server plugin like djvu does
to optimal use like jumping around, but it would be good to work off an
http 1.1 server as well)

   * allow searching inside the book, and then also searching the full
library (s).

   * some advanced features for browsing a full book such as Michael
Hawley's 1-bit-font view on a scrollbar, Annotation, reviews, etc.

   * mechanism to get back to the books metadata if that metadata's url
is imbedded in the pdf. (helps the users and give attribution to
contributors).

   * launchable from clicking on a PDF on a website.

Any help towards this or something else would be most appreciated.

Onward!

-brewster
Digital Librarian, Internet Archive

ps.  we sponsored the developement an djvu java viewer but it is not
very active http://sourceforge.net/projects/javadjvu/ look at our djvu
links for a live demo.   PDF and javascript viewers (like our flip book)
have more momentum at the moment.