newbie question - need to get libstdc++.so.5

Geir Magnusson Jr. geir at pobox.com
Mon Jan 8 17:01:10 EST 2007

On Jan 8, 2007, at 3:26 PM, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-01-08 at 15:10 -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm a newbie so forgive the stupid questions and misnaming things -
>> I'll learn quickly...
>>
>> I'm playing around with getting Apache Harmony (an OSS impl of Java
>> SE) to run on an OLPC image running in Parallels in OS X.  Currently,
>> I'm using build 218.
>
> Does harmony _require_ libstdc++.so.5?  Since it's OSS, you probably
> want to either yell at them build against a gcc >= 4, or rebuild it
> yourself against libstdc++.so.6.

Well, I'm "them" in this case, so I can easily rebuild w/ gcc >= 4.
I do on gcc 4.x for x86_64, so happy to do it for x86.

<aside>
Would you in general recommend gcc 4.x for anything and everything?
</aside>

And yes, now I see that .6 is there - see...a  stupid question on my
part :)

> For playing around with, I can
> understand installing .5.  But you should really make it use .6 at a
> later date.
>
> Until then:
>
> yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Thanks for the prompt answer.  I'll make it .6 and give it a another
try...