codec optimization

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sun Feb 25 18:21:08 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 14:20 -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> John (J5) Palmieri writes:
> > Ogg Theora for video and Ogg Vorbis for audio are the
> > main codecs.  Code can be found at http://xiph.org/.
> Dan Williams writes:
> > It's likely Ogg Theora (video) and Ogg Vorbis (audio).
> > They are in need to some optimization help, so anything
> > you could provide would be great.
>
> Ogg (audio) is a surviver. That Theora thing was stillborn,
> which is good because you can't decently share a file
> extension between different media types.

Ogg is just the container format. Can you elaborate on why Theora is
"stillborn"?  The code is known not to be optimized so if it is running
slow on the XO it may just take someone looking into it.

> The fast low-compression choice is MJPEG. Perhaps
> the XO can even create this in real-time.

Are there any legality issues with using mjpeg?

> For heavy compression, we have Snow and Dirac.
> Both of these use wavelet compression and thus,
> if we hurry, have a tiny chance to become the next
> common real-world standard. (we're up against both
> the ISO's "reasonable licensing" gang and Microsoft)

It is my impression that Dirac was a high quality archival format which
is not suitable for real time streaming playback.  I have no knowledge
of Snow.