GCompris in sugar ?

Marco Pesenti Gritti mpg at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 14:30:01 EST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 23:42 +0100, Yves Combe wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am part of the GCompris developper team, we looked at the technical
> issues involved to provide an OLPC version.
>
> Indeed, i don't know what exactly is the OLPC specification.
>
> We use an 800x600 display. I know OLPC is 1900x1200 in B&W mode, how
> much is it in colors ? it will need some work to check GCompris can
> display correctly in B&W (easy but long), and  to change it's size if
> needed (easy with zooming in gnomecanvas).
>
> We use  SDL_mixer (sound),  and libgnomecanvas.  We have a copy of
> python-gnomecanvas bindings inside. We need Gtk and pygtk of course.
>
> Our main fonctions are in a library, and we have python binding for it.
>
> So i see a way to integrate GCompris in sugar: rewrite our main() part
> in python (namely gcompris.c) using the library bindings. that should
> probably work. This part create the two GnomeCanvas widgets (the board
> itself and the bottom bar), initialise the sound, and read the activity
> list. It launch the first activity (usually the menu) through the libs
> function.

Hello,

from an user experience point of view, I don't think you want to write a
GCompris activity, but rather some sort of GCompris Board -> Sugar
Activity adapter. The two concepts actually seem to map pretty closely,
expect Activity also imply collaboration and social interaction. See:

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/HIG

Marco