Is the "yum" repository down?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sat Dec 29 21:31:53 EST 2007

I just built a VMware virtual XO (build 655) and I can't seem to access
the "yum" repositories:

-bash-3.2# yum search chess
http://mock.laptop.org/repos/local.ship2/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 12]
Timeout: <urlopen error timed out>
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
olpc_local-ship2. Please verify its path and try again
-bash-3.2#

I haven't put my real XO on the network today -- too busy crawling
around under my work table dealing with useless KVM switches. ;) But I
can't think of any reason why this shouldn't work.

P.S.: "wget" on the host is also not happy:

$ wget http://mock.laptop.org/repos/local.ship2/repodata/repomd.xml
--18:30:46--  http://mock.laptop.org/repos/local.ship2/repodata/repomd.xml
           => `repomd.xml'
Resolving mock.laptop.org... 18.85.46.52
Connecting to mock.laptop.org|18.85.46.52|:80... failed: Connection refused.