Java question

Jeffrey Kesselman jeffpk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 12:10:34 EST 2007

Short answer.... Java GUI apps don't work with Matchbook yet.

Long answer:

Each Java Window will be a ful l creen display, use alt-n/alt-p to
move between them.

HOWEVER

Layout doesn't work quite right, it thinks the window is much smaller
then it really is.

Pull down menus don't work at all.

JK

On Dec 29, 2007 1:12 AM, Cay Horstmann <cay at horstmann.com> wrote:
> I am trying to find out how to run Java GUI applications on the OLPC. I
> installed Java by downloading and executing
>
> jre-6u3-linux-i586-rpm.bin
>
> It works--if I ssh -X into the machine from a Linux box, I can
> successfully run Java Web Start applications such as
>
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_03/bin/javaws http://www.horstmann.com/violet/violet.jnlp
>
> But when I try the same from the terminal activity, I just get a screen
> filled with "Java Application Window" (which would normally appear as
> the title decoration of the main window).
>
> Similarly, when I place a JAR file onto the OLPC (such as
> ResourceTest.jar from Core Java vol. 1 ch. 10), it runs beautifully when
> I ssh -X into the machine, but when I execute it on the machine itself,
> I get a blank screen.
>
> I suppose this has something to do with the window manager on the OLPC.
> Is there any way to overcome this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cay
>

> --
>
> Cay S. Horstmann | http://horstmann.com | mailto:cay at horstmann.com

~~ Microsoft help desk says: reply hazy, ask again later. ~~